l
Friday, August 22, 2003
Today's Java lecture was given by Prof Antoine Vigneron. He's french by the way.. and I think his european lineage had something to do with him frequently blowing into the mike today. You know these Mat Salleh all got pointy noses rite? As a result of their pointy noses, their nostrils can 'aim' a bit further outwards than our Asian nostrils. And Antoine was holding the mike rather close to his mouth.. and if you just hold an imaginary mike to your mouth.. you'll see that it's quite near your nose. Well for Antoine it was very close to his nose! Thus resulting in the frequent 'blow on mike' sounds.

His lecture today is like Taxi and Taxi2 and Taxi3. It was FAST and it was FRENCH! Not really french but french-accented. He had 60 slides to go thru with us and only 120 mins to do it. If you think the Taxi series is fast, you've yet to experience the kind of 'press you back into your seat' 3G effect Antoine was subjecting us to.

After the lecture, I went to the Central National Library to meet Adeline who was there to look up statutes on estate law for her SSD module. I went to find some Java books to try and understand what Antoine was saying earlier.

I didn't find the "For Dummies" or "The Idiot's Guide" books but I picked a book that looked promising and went to find a seat. Nope there was no more space on the table. Sure there were a few more empty chairs but all those piles of books on the table just took up all the space. Either the librarians weren't doing their jobs or the other library users have been sitting there for half the day and browsed all those piles of books and magazines themselves and didn't bother to clear the table.

Right.. I know I'm not supposed to sit in between the shelves and on the walkways but.. wat the heck.. here goes Plonked onto the floor beside where I took the book and I went about reading. Some other library users walked past, some stopped nearby me looking at the books on the shelves but nobody asked me to move so I returned to my book.

Then this Indian national walked pass me a little slower than the others. Ding Dong! "We would like to remind all library users not to sit on the floor in between the shelves and along the walkways. This would inconvenience the other library users. Thank you!" I looked up at the Indian, who was now a little distance away. While the announcement was made, he turned back while walking on and looked at me with a little grin. I wonder if he had friendly intentions or hostile intentions. I looked at him shrugged a little and stood up. Librarians.. what do they want man.. don't clear the tables and don't want me to sit on the floor. Then what? I stand the whole time I'm reading the book? Tired leh!!

Shift my weight on one leg now, then shift to the other, then stand on both legs, then lean on the shelf. Finally finished reading what I wanted to read and I went up to the reference section to find Adeline. She was reading this statute on Land and I didn't sit down for long then I went to look around in the shelves.

Then I saw this rather thin book "Christian Perspective on the Life Sciences".. hhhmm.. must be interesting. The book is foreworded by a Bishop Doctor i-forgot-his-name. 1st before continuing, I am an atheist and I'm about to pay no regard to religious sensitivity. The Bishop Doctor's tone was something like "Unethical life sciences! Cloning research - Unethical! DNA Genome mapping, evil! We must remind ourselves that the Lord is the Creator!" What kind of belief is this I ask..

Another book I found is by Mr Chee, To Be Free. No prize for guessing which Mr Chee. It's even autographed by him! There was a brief background on him, says that he was once a lecturer in a.NUS, found guilty of misusing funds, something like 350K, for printing(?) Didn't get to read much cos then Adeline walked up beside me and motioned that we're leaving.


Pangy was pricked and bled at 9:45 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com