l
Wednesday, August 27, 2003
8 am tutorial today was bad. It was tutorial for Making Sense of Society, a Sociology module. The tutor is super uninspiring and he's one of those 'I don't want to speak like local cos speaking with an accent is like so cool' arty farty people. Then again he might not be Singaporean cos he asked us "What was that line during National Day? One .. one what?" *class chants One People One Nation One Singapore at different speeds* "Oh One Nation One.. oh oh.. One People One Nation" Or he's Singaporean but spent many years studying overseas. I don't like him much. Last sem my SS tutor was of a super mixed bloodline, vietnamese, malay, chinese blah blah but he still speaks like a local! Don't get why these arty farty people want to be so pretentious. If you want to speak that way to your professor who's american or british or whatnot, so be it. But if you're going to be speaking to a bunch of locals, then why the accent? As if we'll understand you better.

We split up into 3 groups to discuss Marx, Weber and Emile Durkheim, 3 of the most important sociologists ever. My group was to discuss Durkheim. Everyone was very quiet cos how many people have actually heard of Durkheim? Marx and Weber are quoted in other social sciences as well and are quite well known figures. I didn't make the 1st comments cos I didn't bring the text with me and I had already forgotten what Durkheim was about cos I read that chapter awhile ago. But I did make the 2nd comment after reading a few lines off someone else's text and that was the start of the slide. Nobody else offered any more comments. The most helpful was "It's all this stuff in the text."

Group discussion time was swiftly over and time for somebody from the group to go up to the whiteboard and write the group's findings. Yours truely was arrowed despite my protest of 'horrible handwriting'. Just 20 secs after I started to write, the tutor says something is wrong with the classification he gave to Durkheim and Weber. He had classified them wrongly, Weber as Structural Functionlist instead of Symbolic Interactionist and Durkheim as Symbolic Interactionist instead of Structural Functionalist.

WOAH! All the stuff I was prepared to crap about suddenly all wrong. I went back to the group for help and one guy was so helpful "take the book.. go there summarise" Yeah.. you aren't the one up front loh. I went back to the board, stunned awhile and decided to BS, so I did and with no attempt at making my handwriting legible.

Ok lah, the tutor did try to compliment my effort. But I still don't like him cos he's so uninspiring.


Pangy was pricked and bled at 11:24 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com